What is "Grad Track"?
Grad Track option is a BS/MS accelerated program for MEE undergraduate students, the student can take a maximum of nine (9) credit hours of graduate courses while the student is completing the BS degree. These credits will be counted towards both the BS and MS degrees.
Benefits of Grad Track and Graduate Study:
The 9 double counted credits will save the students' time and money. More importantly, the Grad Track program lead the students into graduate study which opens the door for lots of opportunities and benefits:
- Knowledge – priceless
- Higher paid jobs with MS degree.
- Increase career opportunities
- Research, high-tech jobs
- High education jobs
- Technical leadership and management
How does the "Grad Track" work?
- Student apply for the Grad Track option in the junior year (completed at least 75 credit hours with GPA of 3.3 or higher).
- After the application is approved and have completed at least 90 credit hours, the students can start taking the graduate courses (MEEN 5110 Alternative Energy Sources, MEEN 5300 Advanced Thermodynamics, MEEN 5315 Nanoscale Energy Transport, or other MEE grad courses approved by MEE advisors) as technical electives or energy electives for the BS degree requirement. For the graduate courses to be counted for the MS degree later, the student should get B or above for the courses.
- The student applies to Toulouse Graduate School within the first semester of the senior year. Once the student satisfied all coursework for BS degree and maintained a 3.0 or higher GPA, he/she will be fully admitted to the MS program.
- The students must enroll in graduate school in the long semester after finishing his/her BS degree and should take the remaining graduate courses in the following year(s) to complete his/her MEEN-MS degree. If the student did not enroll in graduate school in the long semester after finishing his/her BS degree, those graduate course credit hours will not be counted anymore for the MS degree even if the student comes back for graduate school in the future.
To apply for the Grad Track option, the student needs to meet the following criteria:
- Student should be a major in UNT Mechanical and Energy Engineering's BS program.
- Student can apply for the Grad Track option from his/her junior year (completed at least 75 credit hours, a benchmark is if the student is ready for MEE Senior Design in the following Fall semester).
- Minimum of 3.3 or higher cumulative GPA required at the time of application submission. Also prefer to have an average grade of 3.5 for MEE core courses (MEEN 2210, MEEN3110, MEEN3120, MEEN 3250).
How to apply?
- Fill the Grad Track application form.
- Attached a copy of unofficial UNT transcripts
- Attached two recommendation letters from MEE faculty members
- Submit the signed application form, transcripts, recommendation letters to MEE office.
Need more info or have questions? Contact the College of Engineering advisors by clicking here or call +1 (940) 565-4201.